Thomas K. Huard Ph.D.
|Forensic DNA Analyst|
|University of Illinois Medical Center|
|University of Illinois Medical Center|
|B.S.||1970||Biology||University of Illinois, Chicago|
· Director of Molecular Diagnostics
American Medical Laboratories
14225 Newbrook Drive
Chantilly, Virginia 20153
Dates: February 18, 2002-present
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
· Technical, administrative, and supervisory management of a Clinical Molecular Diagnostics reference laboratory . Responsible for daily operations, technical supervision, quality assurance, new test development, education and training.
CURRENT CONSULTANT POSITION
· DNA Analyst
Speckin Forensic Laboratory
2105 University Park Drive
Okemos, MI 48864
Dates: June 1, 1997- present
PREVIOUS RELEVANT POSITIONS
· Technical Director
Sparrow Health System*
1215 E. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48912
*“Ranked in Top 100 Hospitals, 2000”
· Technical Director
Clinical Immunology & Flowcytometry
Warde Medical Laboratory
6500 Venture Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
ACADEMIC and PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS
|Director||1993-2002||Flow Cytometry|| Sparrow
|Director||1993-2002||Paternity Testing|| Sparrow
|DNA Analyst||1997-present||Forensic Identification||Speckin Forensic|
|Associate Director||1989-1993||Flow Cytometry||St.
|Clinical Associate||1990-1993||Clinical Lab Science||Eastern
|Associate Member||1980-1989||Dept. Micro/Immunology||University
|Med Technologist||1972-1978||Dept. Micro/Immunology||Rush-
|Graduate Student||1972-1978||Dept. Micro/Immunology||Univ.
CLINICAL TEST RESPONSIBILITIES
· Autoimmune Disease Serology, Protein Chemistry, Infectious Disease Serology, Flow Cytometry, Histocompatability, Prenatal Screening, Paternity Testing, Molecular Diagnostics, Immunohistochemistry, Tissue Immunofluorescence, Cytogenetics
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
· Association for Molecular Pathology – Current
· American Association of Clinical Chemists – Current
· Diagnostic Immunology Division
· Molecular Diagnostics Division
· Clinical Cytometry Society - Current
· American Association of Immunologists
· Society for Analytical Cytology
· American Association for Cancer Research
· American Federation for Clinical Research
· Sigma XI Research Society of North America
· American Tissue Culture Association
· Reticuloendothelial Society
COMMITTEE AND ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES
· Chairman, American Association of Clinical Chemists, Michigan Section, 2002
· Legislative Liaison, American Association of Clinical Chemists,
Michigan Section, 2000-2001
· Program Chairman, American Association of Clinical Chemists,
Michigan Section, 1998-2000
· Radiation Safety Officer, Sparrow Regional Laboratories 1998-2002
· Member, Bone Marrow Transplant Task Force, Sparrow Hospital,
· Member, Mid-West Flow Cytometry User's Group, 1987-2002
· President, Oak Hill Enterprises, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1987-present
· Member, Laboratory Project Test Group, Consortium for Lyme
· Member, Tumor Immunology Program, University of Michigan Cancer
· Member, Drug Development Program, University of Michigan Cancer
· Member, Tumor Metastasis Program, University of Michigan Cancer
· Consultant, Environmental Research Institute of Michigan, Ann Arbor,
· Director, University of Michigan Tissue Culture Club, 1986-1989
· Consultant, Gelman Sciences, Ann Arbor, MI 1986
· Judge, State Science Fair Competition, Manchester Community
Schools, Manchester, MI, 1985-present.
· Liaison-to-Private Sector, Council for Midwest Immunology Conference,
· Symposium Chairman "Macrophage Activation" Mid-West Immunology
Conference, Chicago, 1985
· Scientific Consultant, Chi Systems, Inc., Ann Arbor, MI 1984
· Council Member, Mid-West Immunology Conference, 1983-1988
· Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Dental Research Institute,
U of M School of Dentistry, 1983-1987
· Study Section Member, Experimental Immunology, NIH, 1981
· Workshop Chairman: "Leukocyte Biochemistry and Function,"
Internat. Congress of Hematol., Montreal, 1980
· Lecturer: Obstetrics and Gynecology Residents Conference,
Michigan State University
· Lecturer: Grand Rounds-Pathology Didactic Series, Sparrow Health System
· Hematology/Coagulation Course: Non-traditional Applications of Flow
Cytometry, Michigan State Univ.
· Medical Technology: Clinical Laboratory Science, College of Health and
Human Services, EMU
· Immunology 624: General Immunology, Department of Microbiology
and Immunology, U of M
· Microbiology/Immunology 705: Advanced Topics in Immunology,
Dept. of Micro. and Immuno., U of M
· Immunobiology 414: Department of Zoology, U of M
· Hematology; Clinical and Laboratory Review: Anti-Tumor Immunology,
Dept. of Internal Medicine, U of M
· Medical Student Research Program: Research Training in Cancer
Immunology, U of M
· Dental Student Research Program: Research Training in Inflammation
and Disease, U of M
· Cellular Bioengineering: Graduate Student Research and Training in
Cell Culture Technology, U of M
HONORS AND AWARDS
· Young Researchers Award International Association for Dental
Research (IADR) 1974
· Young Investigator Award National Institutes of Health (NIH) 1980
· Molecular biology of infectious disease; molecular biology of oncology; molecular diagnosis of genetic diseases; cell-mediated immunity and cancer; mechanisms of cell mediated cytotoxicity; monocyte-macrophage immunobiology; immunological effects of biological response modifiers, e.g., interferon, IL-2; adoptive immunotherapy of cancer; biology of the extracellular matrix proteins in relation to cancer and metastasis; large-scale production of monoclonal antibodies; automated cell culture systems; cellular bioengineering and stem cell biology; bone marrow transplantation; latex allergy.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
· Accurate Quantitation of CMV DNA Variants in Transplant Patients by Real-Time PCR. American Medical Laboratories, Molecular Diagnostics Department, Shawn Carver, Gary Milburn, PhD and Thomas K. Huard, PhD.
· Mechanisms of Metastasis in Prostate Cancer. MSU – Department of Zoology, Mukta Webber, Ph.D., Diane Bello de Campo, Ph.D. Bill Chu, MS, Thomas K. Huard, Ph.D.
· Dendritic Cell Activation by GM-CSF in Metastatic Breast Carcinoma. MSU – Dept. Of Internal Medicine. F. Gary Renshaw, D.O., N. Dimitrov, M.D., Thomas K. Huard, Ph.D.
· Latex Allergy: Epidemiology and Prevalence. Dennis Ownby, M.D., Medical College of Georgia, Andy Saxon, M.D., UCLA Medical School, Thomas K. Huard, Ph.D., Sparrow Health System.
· Effects of Corticosteroids on the Immunophenotype in Premature Infants. MSU - Dept. of Pediatrics and Human Development, Magid Farid, M.D., Julia Frei, M.D., Thomas K. Huard, Ph.D.
· Development of the T-Cell Immune System and Effect of Cytokines on the Ontogeny of White Blood Cells of Premature Neonates, Said Omar, M.D., Julia Frei, M.D., Thomas K. Huard, Ph.D.
· Effect of Antenatal Steroids on Bronchoalveolar Inflammatory Response in Premature Infants at Risk of BPD. MSU-Dept. of Pediatrics and Human Development, Padmani Karna, M.D., Magid Farid, M.D., Thomas K. Huard, Ph.D.
PREVIOUS FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS
· Evaluation of an ELISA Methodology for CD4 Counting. Michigan Department of Public Health grant, 1994.
· The Mechanisms of Interferon Action in Hairy Cell Leukemia, NCI-RO-1grant, 1988-1989.
· Efficient Monoclonal Antibody Production, NASA grant, 1987-1991
· Human Bone Marrow: Large-Scale Cultivation, NSF grant, 1988-1989
· Life Support Systems Via the Use of Cell Culture, NASA/ERIM grant, 1987-1989
· Use of IL-2 in Growth and Expansion of Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes, Hoffman LaRoche contact, 1987-1989
· UM Tissue Culture Club, NCI Core grant, 1987-1989
· Immunoregulation in Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma, ACS grant, 1989-1991
· Secondary Metabolite Synthesis Via Plant Cell Culture, NASA grant, 1989-1992
· Lymphokine Activated Killer Cells and Interleukin-2 in Cancer, EI DuPont contract, 1989-1990
· Leukocyte Interaction with the Extracellular Matrix Protein Laminin in Metastasis, NCI RO-1 grant, 1985-1989.
· Fc Receptor Function in Immunological Disease, Inflammation and Cancer, NIH Young Inv. Grant, 1981-1985.
MOST RECENT PUBLICATIONS
· Huard T, Katzman G, and Davis B. Clinically Useful Nontraditional Applications of Flow Cytometry, in “Flow Cytometry and Clinical Diagnosis” 3rd Ed., DF Keren, P. McCoy, and J. Carey, eds., ASCP Press, Chicago, pp. 543-580, 2001.
· Omar S, Woolevier D, and Huard TK. Alteration of lymphocyte subpopulations in newborn infants with early-onset sepsis. Pediatric Research 49: A1308, 2001.
· Saxon A, Ownby D, Huard T, Parsad R, and Roth HD. Prevalence of IgE to natural rubber latex in unselected blood donors and performance characteristics of AlaSTAT testing. Ann. of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunol. 84: 199-206, 2000.
· Webber MM, Trakul N, Thraves PJ, Bello-DeOcampo D, Chu WW, Storto PD, Huard TK, Rhim JS, and Williams DE. A human prostatic stromal cell line WPMY-1: a model for stromal:epithelial interactions in prostatic neoplasia. Carcinogenesis 20:1185-1192, 1999.
· Huard,T. Clinically Useful Nontraditional Applications of Flow Cytometry, in “Flow Cytometry and Clinical Diagnosis” 2nd Ed., DF Keren, C Hanson, and PE Hurtubise, eds., ASCP Press, Chicago, 1994.
COMPLETE PUBLICATION LIST (available upon request)
· Completed publications in scientific journals: >15
· Chapters in books: 8
· Abstracts presented at national meetings: >50
FORENSIC CASE EXPERIENCE
· Case Review: >5,000
· Court Testimony/Deposition: >50
· Case Mix:
· Forensic Identification
· Criminal Sexual Assault
· Test Experience:
· DNA Extractions/Hybridization
· PCR Procedures
· RFLP Procedures
· ABO Blood Groups
· Semen Analysis
· Hair Analysis
· Urine Analysis
· Statistical Analysis
|Dr. Tom Huard||Email Tom|